Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thank heaven for cheesecake

I'm not even sure how to enter typing out this post because I feel like I need to be really careful about the word I'm about to use.  I don't want to deter any readers and as soon as I type this word, I might send a good few of you, off to a better world where this word was never spoken.  The word I mean to say is...vegan.  Hello?  Is anyone still there?

Before I lose what's left of my audience, let me just say a lot of why I've explored vegan cooking is because my sweet 9 year old niece, Courtney, has a severe allergy to milk and egg products.  She spent the whole first 18 months of her life sick as all get out because doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with her.  She's a 9 year old who can't eat pizza, or kit kat bars, or buttered popcorn.  Which is actually kind of good in a healthy way, but all kids should get to junk out every now and then.  The thing about Courtney is, she never complains about it.  She doesn't seem to really mind.  She's so mature about it...while she dances on the coffee table.  I'm really proud of that girl.  Because if it were me I would full-on through myself on the floor like a toddler in the grocery store, screaming for a snickers.  For sure.

So, sweet Court, this post is for you!


Vegan No Bake Mini Cheesecakes

For the crust:
- 7 or 8 graham crackers (I like to use the cinnamon ones, just because they're yummy, but you can use plain or honey if you want)
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tblsp coconut oil, melted

For the filling:
- 2, 12oz containers of Tofutti sour cream (this was at the Kroger in Batesville, in with all the healthy juices and tofu, next to the produce section)
- 3/4 cup sugar
-1 tsp vanilla extract

For the topping:
- 10 strawberries, sliced
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 2 or 3 graham cracker squares

Put graham crackers in a ziplock bag and seal.  With a rolling pin, roll over the crackers until they're finely ground.  Mix in a bowl with sugar and salt.  Add oil.  In a muffin pan (I used a silicone muffin pan because I found it helped pop these little cheesecakes out without damaging them at all.  But a metal pan is fine too), scoop graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup.  Fill just over 1/3 of the way full and, using the back of a spoon, pack the graham crackers down.  Once all the cups are filled, put the muffin tin in the freezer and let set for about 10 minutes.

While crust is setting, whip together sour cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl with a whisk.  Remove pan from the freezer and fill cups to the top with the cheesecake filling.  Freeze for at least an hour before serving.

For the topping, slice strawberries and mix with sugar in a bowl.  Cover the bowl and let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  Drizzle strawberry juice and strawberries over the top of the cheesecakes.  Crumble the graham cracker squares over the top of strawberries. 

Store cheesecakes in the freezer.  If there's any left over to store, that is.  And there wont be.


2 comments:

  1. I can't eat ssc either, unless I leave out the whipped cream, and our local ice cream parlor makes them with real ice cream so I have to ask for a substitute = yuk! This sounds really good, and I will make it as soon as my digestion says I can.

    ReplyDelete