Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Stop asking me for chips!

Have I mentioned to you that my kids don't like sugar?  It's weird.  And they didn't get it from me.  In their 2 and a half years they have winced and spit out ice cream, chocolate, cupcakes, whipped cream, peanut butter, jam, candy, and rice crispy treats.  What the crap is up with these little people?!  I'm sure, at some point in their lives that will change.  But as it stands, they have no interest in sweets. 

They do, however, love fruit.  Nature's candy.  Why can't I just be satisfied with that?  They also LOVE chips.  Can't get enough of'm.  I get asked for chips on a daily basis.  And I say no plenty of times, but it is the one bit of junk food they eat.  They've still never had fast food (fast food isn't fast in the country, y'all), they don't eat anything fried at home, what a couple of chips now and then?

And then, out of nowhere, I remembered one of my favorite things to eat when I was a kid:  Apple chips.  Oh yeah.  Sweet and tart and crunchy.  So good and not a thing wrong with them.  They satisfy your chip craving while also keeping away medical professionals!  I love it!


It's like little apple pie chips, is what it's like.  My kids LOVE apples. And they LOVE chips.  Apple Chips?  This is going to be like Christmas in July! 

They wanted nothing to do with them.

They looked at me like, "Mom, this doesn't look like an apple OR a tortilla chip?  Stop yankin' my chain."  But had they at least tried them, man would they have been in heaven.  Whatever.  Sometimes kids are weird.  Or, rather, sometimes my kids are weird.  They don't like rice crispy treats!  Obviously they're weirdos.

Adorable weirdos.

What's this post about?  Oh yeah - Apple chips.



Cinnamon Apple Chips

- 3 firm apples (I used Fuji.  Try Gala, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady apples if you'd rather)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp raw sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Slice apples with a mandolin or a paring knife, about 1/8" thick. 

In a bowl, mix apple slices, lemon juice, and cinnamon, until apples are well coated.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Place apple slices on the baking sheet, making sure they aren't touching.  Bake for about an hour and then flip the apple slices so that they cook evenly, and cook for an additional hour or more, until they are crispy.

Note:  Apple chips will be a little flimsy when they come out of the oven, but after cooling they'll crisp up completely.


These are one of my favorite snacks still.  I mean who doesn't love chips you can eat all day and not feel bad about?  No one.  That's who.






No comments:

Post a Comment