Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Melt my heart

I'm still on the never ending search to find delicious deserts for my allergy ridden niece.  I don't want to get carried away on vegan recipes on this blog, but at the same time, vegan recipes are so much fun to...invent.  I have a real pet peeve about diet or vegetarian or vegan foods, swearing they "taste just like the real thing".  It always seems like it takes a lot of weird chemical based ingredients to make those foods barely passable for brownies or hamburgers or whatever they're "supposed" to taste like.  And I think it's what sends people running whenever healthy, vegetarian or vegan foods come up.  It's just going to taste like weird imitation stuff.

Summer is the ultimate time to enjoy fruit.  I'm obsessed with blueberries, watermelon, kiwi, and peaches right now.  I eat them at least twice a day.  I can't stop.  But it doesn't stop the sugar monster that apparently lives in my person, to creep up and want something more than just raw fruit.  I don't want to anger it. 

Here, little monster.  Will this help?  I just want to make you happy...



Blueberry Lemon Honey Sherbet (ok, this is vegan...but it doesn't have to be)

- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- 1 6oz. container soy blueberry yogurt (available at Kroger.  Use regular vanilla yogurt or heavy cream if you're steering clear of the vegan thing.  If you use plain yogurt or cream, you might want to increase the honey by another tablespoon or two.)
- 2 tblsp honey

In a food processor or stand mixer (or, heck, in a metal or glass bowl with a hand mixer), combine ingredients until smooth and well mixed.  Freeze in a metal or glass bowl and cover tight with saran wrap.  After an hour, remove from freezer and mix well in your food processor or mixer.  Cover and freeze again.  Do this every hour for about 3-4 hours. 


I don't own an ice cream maker, but I'm bound and determined to get around all that.  I've learned over some extensive googling, that it can be done.  It just requires more work.  Basically, you're doing the churning, rather than the ice cream maker.  But if you're in the middle of nowhere and you need ice cream, like, NOW, uh, you'll churn like there's no tomorrow.  And it's worth it!

Brain Freeze!



3 comments:

  1. That's what you were making when I was talking to you last. I'm lucky that blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, (and peaches - go figure) were all in season at once. But no tomatoes yet, alas. What's a good, fast subtitute for Kellogg's frosted mini-wheats can you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'll work on a mini-wheats substitute, pronto, mom! Eat all that fruit while you're waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mucho! The reason (and isn't there always one?) that I just discovered your delicious blog is that Yahoo hid it from me. Long story, nuf said.

    ReplyDelete