Monday, July 9, 2012

Food coma

I need to make a note right now:  I should blog first, eat second.  I'm so full I can hardly move my fingers.  I feel like I just gained 5 pounds...in my fingers.  Mercy.

(Don't worry.  I gained zero pounds in my fingers.  It's all in my head.  You were worried.  Aren't you cute?)

My dad recently took on a new healthy diet in an effort to lose weight and ultimately alleviate pain from a recent knee surgery. Most if what he eats is completely vegan (there's that word again! Hang in there...) and it's already worked wonders.  I think he's dropped about 12-15 pounds in a month or so.  The best thing about the diet he's on is that it's less of a diet and more just an effort to be aware.  Not in quantity or portions, but what's in the food.  Eat healthy, but eat the hell out of it.

Today's lunch is brought to you by my dad's diet and some of the cool things he's taught me.  But again, this isn't diet food.  This is real food.  And it's real good.


You're looking at some lentil tacos made with homemade tortillas.  Homemade tortillas are one of my favorite new tricks dad's taught me while on his vegan adventure.  They're so delicious and INSANELY filling.  Seriously, try them.  See if I'm fibbing.  What's more, these homemade tortillas are made from corn masa and water.  That is it.  That's it!  See?  Now you have to make them. 

Note: Corn Masa can be found at most grocery stores.  For my local pals, I know that Kroger and Piggly Wiggly carry it.  You can generally find it in either the Hispanic section or the flour/baking section of the store.  It's about $3 for a large bag.

So let's start with the tortillias!  Andale!


Corn Tortillias

- 2 cups Corn Masa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.  The texture you're trying to achieve is something kind of play dough like.  A soft, smooth, wet, but not sticky, dough.  You should be able to roll it up into a ball.  If it's too wet, add more masa, or if it's too dry, add more water!  You can't mess it up. Let the dough rest, covered up, for about 30 minutes. 

Grab a ball of dough, about the size of golf ball, and roll it into a smooth ball.  On a parchment covered flat surface, give the ball of dough one little smoosh with the palm of your hand and cover with another piece of parchment paper.  Using something heavy, like a cast iron skillet, press down hard on the covered dough, making it flat as you can or like. 

Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium/high heat.  Cook the flattened tortillas on the dry skillet, for 1 minute on each side, or until it's as browned until you like it.  This is about you, after all.

Once tortilla is cooked on both sides, remove from heat and cover with a paper towel.  You can stack all of the tortillas on top of each other with a paper towel in between each.

This recipe makes about 8 medium sized tortillas.

And for the filling...

Lentil Tacos

- 1 cup of lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 tblsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 avocado, sliced
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- fresh cilantro
- lime

In a medium sized saucepan, heat water up to a boil.  Stir in lentils.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook lentils, covered, for 10-12 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain. 

In a small bowl, mix chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, and corn starch.    

In a non-stick skillet, heat 2 tblsp olive oil and add lentils.  Coat well in oil and add 1/2 cup of water.  Stir in spice mix.  Bring to a simmer and then cover and reduce heat to low, for about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Fill a tortilla with a couple tablespoons of the lentil mixture and top with avocado, tomato, and a few cilantro leaves.  Squeeze a little bit of lime juice on top, fold it up like a taco, and eat up!

2 comments:

  1. Maggie,

    If youre interested there is a lady in Oxford that makes fresh Masa along with Grits, Polenta, and Meal. We bought some Masa a few weeks back at Oxford Farmer's Market but can be bought at Big Bad Breakfast and Big Star i believe. I will be trying out the tortilla recipe since the wife is on a gluten free diet from her dr. Thanks for the recipe. http://www.gritgirl.net/about.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steven! I actually met that lady at the Crosstie Festival back in April. My dad and I are determined to get some goods from Delta Grind. We know there's a couple stores in the Oxford/Water Valley area that carry Delta Grind products. I'm hoping to own some grits real soon :) I hope the wifey enjoys the tortillas! I don't know how she couldnt!

    ReplyDelete