Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cold as ice

I don't wanna harp on summer heat too much.  Everyone does it.  I do it.  It's hard not to.  IT'S FREAKING HOT.  Ever since I was a teenager, summer was the ideal time for me to lose some weight because it was so hot I couldn't even eat.  It was just carrot sticks and apples and spinach salad.  I grew up in Florida and the humidity was like being hugged by a sumo wrestler.  Buh.

So that's what brought me to making salad for lunch all this week.  After a rainy couple of weeks, where things seemed to cool off, it's back to raging heat.  I may as well take advantage of this appetite suppressing weather and eat like a bird.  I got some ROCKIN' green dream pants for my birthday and while they technically will go on me, they are far too tight.  Mayhaps the heat will have me in my dream pants by fall!

(Don't worry...I eat like a bird for breakfast and lunch...but by dinner, the temp has dropped and I is ready to chow.  Come'ere kit kats!)


Do you know about jicama?  I think I heard about it on Chopped, maybe.  It's kind of like a cross between a carrot and a pear.  Slightly sweet, nice a crunchy, packed with water.  I've seen it in fruit salad just as much as I've seen it paired with veggies.  It's at The Pig in Batesville, but if you don't have it around, you could use parsnips or turnips even.  It's a salad.  You can use whatever you want!

But I recommend, no matter what your salad consists of, that you try this kiwi vinaigrette.



Kiwi Vinaigrette

- 3 ripe kiwi (the kiwi should have a little bit of give to it when you squeeze it)
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar (or cider vinegar, or white balsamic)
- pinch of salt

Blend all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor until well combined and serve.  Store in an air tight container.


You could also try this with mangoes, strawberries, or blackberries.  Just a thought.  A delicious thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment