Thursday, September 6, 2012

Marriage tips

Whoever it was that said "The key to a man's heart is through his stomach", wasn't kidding.  I've used that line when giving relationship advice to my sisters, to my friends, and I've used it on myself.  If we're having an off day or he's stressed out or (yes, this actually happens sometimes - like, maybe, 3 whole times) I just want to do something nice because I love the dude, cooking something and feeding that guy will make rainbows and puppies appear.  But if I want to add some unicorns and hugs from baby bunnies, I go for making food he's liked since he was a kid.  Comfort food is what they call those, I think.  Recipes that are similar to his mom's or catfish and hush puppies.  The good stuff.

So, this is one of those 3 times that I just wanted to do something nice for Mr. Harrison.  Football season started last weekend, and while I could give a flying flip, Joe has sat through marathons of Flipping Out and Project Runway and has managed to do it with little to no complaint.  Headphones, yes, but no complaining.  As a reward for surviving those hot, miserable, football-less months, I made him some appropriate football snackage.  There was chips and dip and nachos.  But most importantly...

...there were homemade nutty buddy bars.


Homemade Nutter Butters (aka access to husband's credit card...butters)

- Chocolate Almond Bark
- Waffer Crackers (you can use any type of cracker, but choosing a cracker that is really thin is the best bet.  I found Nature's Crisp Crackers at Wal-Mart)
- Creamy Peanut Butter

In a small sauce pan, on low heat, melt almond bark.  While almond bark is slowly melting (6-8 minutes), prepare crackers and peanut butter by spreading a thin layer on peanut butter on a cracker, adding another cracker, more peanut butter, and topping it with the last cracker.  Cracker, pb, cracker, pb, cracker.  Add as many layers as you'd like.  I've found that less layers are easier to handle.  Using a pair of tongs, dip peanut butter crackers in chocolate and coat them completely.  Shake off the excess and place on a sheet of wax paper.  Once you've dipped all of your peanut butter crackers, place in the fridge to cool completely for about 10 minutes. Serve and ENJOY.


So, what have we learned?  Nutter Butters are as good as currency.  Or that's what I've learned, anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment