Friday, September 14, 2012

Football, shmootball

As a girl who grew up in the south, you'd think it would be programmed in my DNA to love football.  I've lived in Baton Rouge, home of the LSU Tigers.  I've lived in Tallahassee, home of the FSU Seminoles.  I now live in Mississippi, home of both the Ole Miss Rebels and the MSU Bulldogs.  Lot of football, lot of big names in football, lot championship games in those towns I grew up in.  AND I COULD NOT CARE LESS.  Ok, ok.  I'll admit, particularly while I was living in Tallahassee, it was hard not to get into the buzz that went on around town during football season.  At the time I was there, the team was always ranked in the top 5.  Bowl games and National Championships all over the place.  But I don't think I've ever sat and watched an entire game.  And now that I'm married to a football addict, I think the day is coming that I might actually have to do it. 

This is already more football talk than I can stomach.

So how do I cope with all this sports mess?  Snacks.  Snacks and football are a match made in heaven.  And it's the only consolation I have.  Joe and I are both big fans of honey roasted peanuts, so when I had about 2 cups of peanuts leftover in the cabinet, I knew what I had to do.  No question.


Honey Roasted Peanuts

- 2 cups of raw peanuts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp raw sugar

Preheat oven to 325

In a heavy saucepan, melt coconut oil and add honey, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp of salt.  Once melted and well combined, pour over peanuts on a foil covered baking sheet.  Stir nuts and honey mixture well, making sure to get all of the peanuts coated.  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to make sure peanuts do not burn.

Once cooked, remove from oven and stir.  Allow to cool for 1 minute and then ssprinkle with remaining salt and raw sugar.  Stir to coat.  After they've cooled for another 2 or 3 minutes, stir again to keep the peanuts apart.

Store in a ziploc bag or air tight container.


I have a feeling I'm going to have to eat a lot of these guys if I'm going to make it through the weekend long marathon of both college and professional football.  My life is so hard, you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment